Bookmark this page for tournaments, special events, and more.
Whether you’re introducing your little angler-to-be to fishing for the first time, or you love putting your fishing skills up against the very best, Cherokee’s special fishing events keep the season long and lucrative. Check out our Fish Cherokee Facebook page often as new events often pop up, dates change, or new announcements are made.
General fishing waters opening day is always the last Saturday in March. General fishing waters are closed to everyone for two weeks prior to opening day.
September 22, 2022 - December 31, 2024
Important information about fishing in Cherokee's Enterprise Waters.
GENERAL ENTERPRISE FISHING WATERS:
- General fishing waters opening day is always the last Saturday in March.
- General fishing waters are closed to everyone for two weeks prior to opening day.
- Do not purchase permits for general catch-and-keep enterprise waters during the March closure.
- Daily permits are available during the March closure for the trophy trout fly-fishing section only. Daily and fly-fishing permits required for trophy waters.
- Hatchery closed one week in late September during Audit Week (no stocking during this closure). Fishing remains open.
- Staff do not work during official tribal closures, including weekends and holidays. Stocking takes place before and after closures and fishing remains open.
TROPHY FLY-FISHING CATCH & RELEASE ENTERPRISE WATERS:
- The 2.2 miles of trophy trout fly-fishing enterprise waters (catch and release) are open year-round. Daily tribal fishing permit and trophy trout fly-fishing permit required.
BIG COVE PONDS – NO STOCKING: Stocking will not take place in ponds when water temperatures register at 68 degrees or above. Current conditions are not optimal for the sustainability of fish life and mortality chances are increased. Stocking will resume once water temps have improved. Check our Facebook page for more up-to-date information or call 828-359-6960 for stocking information. (Aug-Sept 2023).
INTERNAL AUDIT NOTICE – NO STOCKING: Internal Audit will be conducting the annual audit at the Tribal Trout Hatchery September 18 – September 22, 2023. Stocking will not take place during the audit period. Stocking will take place prior to and after the audit.
FOR MORE FREQUENT, UP-TO-DATE NEWS AND INFORMATION check out our Fish Cherokee Facebook page.